[dev-context] Greek without Latin

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Wed Oct 13 01:40:20 CEST 2010

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 13-10-2010 1:01, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>
>> I thought that Mojca was asking if we can also specify units in Greek.
>> For example, 1μμ instead of 1mm (Although, I am not sure what are the
>> corresponding
>> units in Greek).
>
> hmm, but why units if not the rest too?

The translation of the macros is definitely needed. But along with that,
the OP was also looking for translation of units.
I think that the use case is someone who uses a greek keyboard
cannot key in latin characters easily. A partial translation (that only
converts the macro commands) is not sufficient, because the user has to
switch to the latin keyboard to enter units and then switch back to greek
keyboard for the rest of the text.

> I think that dealing with units in
> arbitrary characters is somewhat tricky (an a callback woudl slow down luatex
> a lot)

Or perhaps something like 10\UNITmm (in Greek, of course). Similar to how
metapost defines units.

> aren't units like mm sort of standard?

I don't know how Greeks enter greek, so I have no idea how easy it is to
enter latin using greek keyboards.

Aditya