[dev-context] Help regarding context architecture and compilation

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Jan 16 16:10:55 CET 2011

On 16-1-2011 10:38, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Either way: creating a package for Fink is asking for troubles unless
> you create a proper TeX Live package first to replace teTeX. It will
> simplify things enormously for you.
>
> A short list of dependencies:
> - binaries (from TeX Live + latest luatex)
> - base files for TeX, metapost (I take them from TeX Live)
> - fonts (I take them from TeX Live)
> - texmf.cnf, texmfcnf.lua (you will have to write your own)
> - context itself (you can fetch it from pragma-ade.com)
> - optional: modules (you can fetch them from
> dl.contextgarden.net/modules or from CTAN)

Just an additional remark: The minimals started as a (local) subset of
tex live. Then Mojca cum suis planted it in the garden, set up a
compilation etc infrastructure, and it by now the minimals are the
standard installation. As the directory structure is similar to texlive
it's easy to support context there as well. The minimals also support
additional modules as well as updates to evolving binaries etc.

Anyway: being the reference, the garden minimals are the starting point.
If one chooses for luatex/mkiv only only a fraction is needed: it could
be nice study to see how small it can get.