[dev-context] beta

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Jan 30 13:51:51 CET 2011

On 29-1-2011 12:36, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 20:33, Hans Hagen<pragma at wxs.nl>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I hope that Mojca does not get too fed up after this change -)
>
> It was me who was asking for the "troubles" anyway :) :) :) So I'm the
> last one who should be complaining.

actually, you asked for other troubles, some of which already were
covered a while ago, these root relocation related are my troubles so
you can blame me (afaik no one ever asked for it so it can even stay
undocumented).

> However here are two settings I'm not sure about (I didn't test them,
> I only looked at them):
>
>      TEXMFOS         = "selfautodir:",

should work ok, just resolves to $SELFAUTODIR but at runtime only (not
in stored files)

> Let's assume that somebody installs binaries on USB stick for three
> different platforms. mtxrun --generate will then alway create the
> database into the same folder for all three different platforms.
>
>      TEXMFHOME       = "home:texmf",

idem, so one can use a differen home, this is somewhat more dangerous
indeed as:

> Let's assume that there are two users using the minimals (it probably
> won't happen for minimals, but it might happen for TeX Live). Will the
> database overwrite each other's data? (On the other hand the home
> folder is not supposed to generate the database at all ...)

right, so normally it's harmless