[dev-context] beta

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Mar 18 14:58:23 CET 2011

On 18-3-2011 2:42, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 02:22:49PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For those with ftp access .. the new beta version there is somewhat
>> experimental as I rewrote some of the (lua) font code
>>
>> - alternative basemode definitions (context only, experimental)
>> - cleaned up node mode initialization
>
> No time for testing, but a suggestion I'd for a while: currently
> features supported in base mode need to be registered explicitly based
> on assumption that certain features tags will be used with lookup types
> supported in base mode. But in practice a feature tag can contain any
> lookup, e.g. I know fonts that use contextual alternates under 'liga'
> tag. My suggestion is to allow any feature tag in base mode and then
> check the actual type of the registered lookups (which might already be
> the case).

this is somewhat tricky as basemode is a frozen approach: we set up the
ligatures once and no real analysis later on takes place

indeed checking takes place so in principle any feature that has
ligature, alternate of substitution is dealt with;

of course it's no problem to enable 'all' features in basemode, as long
as we let complaints about funny side effects go into the void; i'll
have to think about how to provide that variant efficiently