[dev-context] bash vs sh in installation script

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 00:26:20 CEST 2011

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 00:21, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Alan wrote me about the following issue. I don't know anything about
> bash/sh issues (except that sh is indeed more likely to be present and
> that I had to change many occurencies of /bin/sh to /bin/bash on
> garden because /bin/sh was a symlink to dash which didn't work). Does
> anyone object the change from bash to sh?

Dear Alan,

at the same time a question for you: do you also experience any issues
with ./do-all.sh and other scripts in "build the latest binaries"? I
just checked and they start with
    #!/usr/bin/env bash
How does that compare? (I agree that it probably makes sense to do the
change, I just wanted to hear from others and maybe I need to find a
good reference to what is not allowed in sh that works in bash.)

On mac it is:
> sh --version
GNU bash, version 3.2.48(1)-release (x86_64-apple-darwin10.0)

Mojca