[dev-context] Bugs: \WORD and \WORDS behave identically; \Cap and \CAP do nothing

Sietse Brouwer sbbrouwer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 00:15:13 CEST 2012

Hi all,

(1) In MkIV, \WORD{some text} and \WORDS{some text} both turn the
entire text to uppercase ("SOME TEXT"). By analogy with \Word and
\Words, I would expect \WORD to only uppercase the first word ("SOME
text"),

(2) \Cap produces the amsmath \Cap even in text mode. That's the
double intersection symbol.
Link to picture:
http://www.marathon-studios.com/unicode/U22D2/Double_Intersection
According to the manual, "\Cap changes the first character of a word
into a capital".
\Caps already changes a string to small capitals, with the first
letter of every word uppercase; so, I would expect \Cap to change a
string to small capitals with the first letter of the string
uppercase. (I think the manual migh be saying this; it's not quite
clear.)

(3) \CAP{some \\{text}} does nothing; the double backslash only
produces a newline.
According to the manual, \CAP changes letters that are preceded by \\
into capital letters.
The documentation comments in typo-cap.mkiv also mention the \CAP{ ...
... \\{...} ...} syntax, but the comments don't say what it should do.

They're not terribly important commands, to be sure, but they might
also be easy fixes. I don't need them for myself; I simply picked a
random command + its relatives to improve on the Wiki.

Cheers,

Sietse