[Dev-luatex] [NTG-context] new debian context, upload to Debian

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Dec 20 22:32:29 CET 2006

Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Taco! Hi luatex Devs!
>
> On Mit, 20 Dez 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> Norbert Preining wrote:
>>
>>> I know, I will call the package
>>> 	luatex-snapshot
>>> upload it to experimental, and people will get a warning about its
>>> usage. It is ok this way, not many people will get it from experimental
>>> anyway, but I want to have it around for testing, and better early
>>> adoption then late work.
>>>
>>> The point is that there are people who don't want to compile things but
>>> still are able to test stuff. For those luatex-snapshot pacakged will
>>> serve, too (and for me, because I don't want to have packages not under
>>> package management control on my system ;-)
>>>

>> That's ok, thanks (dropped the old CCs, added dev-luatex).
>>

> Ok, perfect, can someone put me on the dev-luatex list, if you think
> it make sense?  I was working with omega until it was dead (ok, you know
> what I mean), then aleph (same same, but different), so I hope that
> luatex does not go the same way.

don't worry; first of all part of the software development by taco is paid for by a grant (oriental tex project); next, luatex is a prelude for pdftex version 2 (version 1 == good old tex will be frozen i.e. no more new features, only big fixes); and on top of that, taco and i are pretty determined to get it done

(there will be some reports in tugboat/maps about experiences so far; next year, context will ship with so called context mkiv code (extra zip) which reimplements some parts in lua; by then, we need to discuss a few distribution things because luatex may demand a different setup)