[Dev-luatex] [NTG-context] arab (omega)

Idris Samawi Hamid ishamid at colostate.edu
Sat Jun 24 19:51:29 CEST 2006

[redirected from context list]

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 11:25:37 -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid
<ishamid at colostate.edu> wrote:

> If we get rid of those exceptions the separator problem will go away. But
> then math will be messed up. The problem is that the
> + - .
> are ambiguous; sometimes they have a mathematical significance; sometimes
> a separator significance. We need the exception for math (generally done
> the usual l-r way) but don't need it for separators (done in the r-l
> way).

Ambiuity is no good; for luatex and beyond we need to consider using the
2200 unicode block for math mode and not the math-like symbols from the
0000 basic latin block. Then the entire problem goes away. punctuation is
punctuation; math symbols are math symbols. In TeX the ambiguity is built
in since it apparently maps the ascii punctuation to math, which is

Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523