[Dev-luatex] [NTG-context] arab (omega)

Idris Samawi Hamid ishamid at colostate.edu
Sat Jun 24 19:51:29 CEST 2006

[redirected from context list]

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 11:25:37 -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid
<ishamid at colostate.edu> wrote:

> If we get rid of those exceptions the separator problem will go away. But
> then math will be messed up. The problem is that the
>
> + - .
>
> are ambiguous; sometimes they have a mathematical significance; sometimes
> a separator significance. We need the exception for math (generally done
> the usual l-r way) but don't need it for separators (done in the r-l
> way).

Ambiuity is no good; for luatex and beyond we need to consider using the
2200 unicode block for math mode and not the math-like symbols from the
0000 basic latin block. Then the entire problem goes away. punctuation is
punctuation; math symbols are math symbols. In TeX the ambiguity is built
in since it apparently maps the ascii punctuation to math, which is
anachronstic.

Best
Idris

--