[Dev-luatex] LaTeX and LuaTeX

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Mon Apr 2 14:41:11 CEST 2007

David Kastrup wrote:
> Well, the various LaTeX hyphenation pattern files are giving me a run
> for my money: authors think it is a good idea to encode them in
> binary, regardless of whether we are talking latin-1, T1 or koi8
> encodings.
>
> What a mess.  I started writing to a few of the maintainers...

For simplicity, you should use the utf-8 encoded patterns used
by xelatex and context. The trick with the callback makes luatex
stop complaining, but it will not hyphenate correctly. XeTeX has
run into the exact same problem.

The LaTeX way is (probably) creating a 'lualatex' format.

> That's just for dumping: I have not actually tried running this
> format.  I don't even know whether the callback survives into the
> format or not...

That functionality could be added in the future, but it doesn't
survive (un)dumping at the moment.