[Dev-luatex] A design philosophy question...

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Apr 3 14:53:12 CEST 2007

David Kastrup wrote:

> I have also filed this several months ago as a bug report to Bb, so
> there is a minuscule chance of Knuth considering a fix upstream at the
> end of the year.  I know that he has an aversion of changing anything
> with such an impact, but then he wants TeX to become an epitaph, and
> what kind of epitaph for the author of "The Art of Computing --
> Seminumerical Algorithms" would it be if "1in" and "72.27pt" had
> different values?

in a sense he's saying that a pt in tex is not really a pt (tex book)
which means that 1in is not 72.27 pt; the problem is that in the tex
book he mentions those two values (as he does with cm and in and such)

i guess that you have a better change with filing a bug for the tex
book: \eq should be \approx

dek could also say: use cm instead of in -)

I think that the assumption is that one stays within a similar unit.