[Dev-luatex] Benchmark.

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Apr 3 17:20:01 CEST 2007

David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> writes:

> Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:
>
>> David Kastrup wrote:
>>>
>>> Now the LuaTeX documentation explicitly says that hyphenation in
>>> iniTeX may crash the system.  Any idea how hard it would be to fix?
>>
>> Probably fairly easy, but there is little point in fixing code that
>> will be removed soon. If you want to jump into this issue at this
>> moment, just use Aleph instead. The whole problem is inherited
>> from Omega 1 anyway.
>
> I am not interested in fixing bugs as an intellectual exercise.  If
> you are planning on removing that code, no point in trying to get
> acquainted with the current code.
>
> The dump file now contains some large sections of zeros at the end,
> but I presume that those will just be Omega's 64k register arrays.
> There is vast seemingly repetitive content earlier on in the dump;
> I'll see whether I can make anything of it.  Of course, a large number
> of character nodes is to be expected, but there might be more
> involved.

There is a fair amount of directional whatsits in the dump, but it is
in plausible relation to the other nodes.  Lots of hlist nodes, too.
The total size of the dump is about 8MB uncompressed.  That does not
look too leaky to me.  Still, I tried clearing out all box registers
and finish typesetting before dumping.  If I understood dumping
correctly, it was supposed to compact memory before dumping.  One also
has to keep in mind that tex.tex can be typeset with a TeX that has
64k words of memory.  So those 8MB, of which the main part is main
memory, could still be considered fishy.

But it seems like there is leakage of general average material.  dir
nodes are just part of the matter.

Doing the test with normal TeX leads to a format 300k in size.  Doing
it with PDFTeX results in 360k.

So the 8MB from LuaTeX _do_ look out of kilter, even considering the
larger register arrays at the end of the dump.

--
David Kastrup