[Dev-luatex] Just noticed something...

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Wed Apr 4 00:28:44 CEST 2007

In the messages from the tex.tex run, I got overfull box messages like
the following:

Overfull \hbox (12.40152pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 21018--21025
[]\tenbf 836. \tenrm It is not nec-es-sary to cre-ate new ac-tive nodes hav-ing
 [] greater than $[] +|

\hbox(6.94444+1.94444)x469.75499, glue set - 1.0, direction TLT
.\whatsit
..\localinterlinepenalty=0
..\localbrokenpenalty=0
..\localleftbox=null
..\localrightbox=null
.\tenbf 8
.\tenbf 3
.\tenbf 6
.\tenbf .
.etc.

That whatsit has to go.  Absolutely.  When the user is explicitly
assigning values to \local* variables, placing a whatsit at the point
of assignment is fine and expected.  It is even conceivable to place a
whatsit at the start of the current hlist _when_ we assign to \local*
in the middle of the list.  But we can't go peppering the lists with
whatsits when we are not asked for it.  It will break far too many
existing packages.  Unless we find a way to make whatsits transparent.
But the combination

glue whatsit glue

could not preserve a whatsit when doing

\skip0=\lastskip