[Dev-luatex] compiling luatex with --with-system-zlib

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Aug 14 10:38:20 CEST 2007

Hi Taco,

I am trying to compile luatex with --with-system-zlib (in Debian we have
to do this). But the latest changes (from 0.10.1 to 0.10.2) in
luatexlib.mk seemed to have messed this up. I get a nice error:
        cd ../../libs/zziplib/zzip && \
        make  CC='gcc' CFLAGS='-g -O2 ' LDFLAGS=''  libzzip.la
cp: cannot stat `../../libs/zlib/*.a': No such file or directory
make: *** [../../libs/zziplib/zzip/.libs/libzzip.a] Error 1

I reverted luatexlib.mk to (quasi) 0.10.1 (some make -> $(MAKE)
replacements I left) and it again compiles.

Interestingly, with --with-system-zlib, I also had to add another patch
because zzlib or whoever is very picky about the version string:
(in luazlib/lzlib.c)
	if (strcmp(version, ZLIB_VERSION))
		then bail out
but zlibVersion is (here) 1.3.3, while ZLIB_VERSION is 1.3.3.2. So I
changed the code to compare only the first 5 chars:
	if (strncmp(version, ZLIB_VERSION, 5))

All this together let me compile 0.10.2 with the system zlib. (BTW: I
have made all the other libs shared linked, too, freetype, fontconfig,
jpeg, etc).

If you have any other suggestion or idea, please let me know. I would
prefer NOT to patch the luatexlib.mk in that way ...

Thanks a lot and all the best

Norbert

ESHER (n.)
One of those push tapes installed in public washrooms enabling the
user to wash their trousers without actually getting into the
basin. The most powerful esher of recent years was 'damped down' by
Red Adair after an incredible sixty-eight days' fight in Manchester's
Piccadilly Station.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff