[Dev-luatex] compiling luatex with --with-system-zlib

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Aug 14 16:23:17 CEST 2007

Hi Taco,

On Die, 14 Aug 2007, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> >cp: cannot stat `../../libs/zlib/*.a': No such file or directory
> >make: *** [../../libs/zziplib/zzip/.libs/libzzip.a] Error 1
>
> zziplib's build system is the most unflexible bit of nonsense
> I have seen in a very long time, and I do not know enough of

I agree, for some time I tried to understand what is going on but gave
up soon ...

> The main problem is that by default, it *only* configures and
> builds against a pre-installed zlib. This is extremely bad, as I

Well, this is what we=Debian want ;-).

> I really want to have this fixed so that both compile modes
> work, but I do not know how to achieve that.

That would be great. In the meantime I will revert the hack from
luatexlib.mk.

> >	if (strncmp(version, ZLIB_VERSION, 5))
>
> This I could patch, but it may even be better to remove the check
> completely. As it stands, it will require the runtime zlib to have
> the same version as compile-time zlib, thereby defeating the point
> of --with-system completely.

Not completely. I guess the authors are scared that zlib is changing
their API in a weird way and want to be sure that what it was compiled
for is actually used. So that if a distribtution later installs a much
newer zlib there is a big fat warning.

But still, the check is tooooo paranoid, and in fact plain wrong as
written, because in Debian I used the VERY same version for compiling
and running and got an error, because the two ways of checking the
version returned different things.

I guess the check could be good enough when checking only the first 3
chars (major.minor) and NOT including the last .revision, but to be sure
I do it for now with major.minor.revision.

Best wishes

Norbert