[Dev-luatex] beta 0.20.0 released

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Dec 5 22:58:53 CET 2007

Jonathan Sauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
>>> - What is planned between 2008 and 2010?
>> well, we have a wish list, but hen we have enough lua callbacks we may
>
>> not need to add much; eventually there will be a tex kernel (in c)
> with
>> a c interface; currently global properties will become structures,
> maybe
>> we will be abel to run multiple instances .. who knowns
>
> What do you mean by the latter?

if a tex engine can be properly isolated one can think of starting a new
instance

> Sure, but examples on how to use these interfaces can go a long way.
> And IMO a documentation of the OpenType font metrics table is indeed
> for the manual. Otherwise, how should one be able to create a solution?

by consulting documentation (fontforge, ms site, adobe) ... of just
looking into the lua table ... there are many variations in fonts and
features; type 1, open type, what-comes-next ...  such standards (sic)
have their own documentation

> A book on dead trees? Considering the pace at which LuaTeX develops
> (and most likely will continue to develop, considering above roadmap),
> I wonder if this book will not either be in the stores too late or
> out of date.

well, at some point luatex will be pretty stable ... just like tex
itself; what macro packages do with luatex is not part of that kin dof
documentation

> Who can only write code if they have the documentation.

indeed, but look at good old tex ... eventually macro packages evolved
that go way behind plain tex; also, i could write thousands of pages
about how *i* do thinsg but that may not be the way you want to do it
(and i'm pretty sure that the context mkiv color model is different from
what e.g. latex does).