[Dev-luatex] beta 0.20.0 released

Jonathan Sauer Jonathan.Sauer at silverstroke.com
Thu Dec 6 09:08:06 CET 2007

> > Tomorrow, after incorporating some fixes from this mailing list. I
> > used Latin Modern Roman. The characters were in the PDF, the font
> > as well, but they were invisible and all at the same position.
> Strange, that's not what I have here with a very simple test.  If you
> could send an exact example file some day, I would be very interested,
> and I'm sure Taco would be as well.

First of all, an apology: While complaining about a missing fontforge
table documentation, I completely overlooked section 13.

Now, after incorporating the fixes (concerning scaling), everything
worked. I attached the PlainTeX source as a UTF-8 document (please
remove the BOM at the beginning to prevent LuaTeX from
complaining about a missing character 65xxx).

However (an excerpt from the attached document, I hope the diacritics
are not lost):

\font\textfont=lmroman10-regular at 10pt % (A)
% \font\textfont=lmroman10-bold scaled 1000 % (B)
% \font\textfont=lmroman10-bold % (C)

Lûátèx sürė ĩs grēăt! fi ffi AV

(A) works perfectly.

(B) and (C) produce (C most likely because 'scaled 1000' is the default):

This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.20.0-2007120515 (Web2C 7.5.6)
(OTFTest.texLoading font /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/opentype/publ
ic/lm/lmroman10-bold.otf [1{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex
! pdfTeX error (arithmetic): divided by zero.
\plainoutput ...headline \pagebody \makefootline }
                                                  \advancepageno \ifnum \out...
<output> {\plainoutput
\supereject ->\par \penalty -\@MM
\bye ->\par \vfill \supereject
l.91 \bye
!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced

Changing the output routine to '\output{}' only changes the "stack trace".

(D) creates some strange output:

It seems that texio.write does not reset its internal line length counter
then writing a "\n". Also, there is a leading space for some reason.

BTW: Is it possible to add a function which does not wrap after 80
characters? Or maybe the wrapping is completely obsolete (though I am
not sure about tracing TeX code).

Another weird thing: The Latin Modern font contains ligatures, but they are
not put inside a "ligatures" table. Example: "f" (simple output of the
fontforge glyph table using code from the Lua wiki):

"f" contains a "fi" ligature:

But this ligature is not associated with the "f" letter in any way. Is this a
bug in the font? In LuaTeX? In the manual?

I installed the font in OS X 10.4 and used it in TextEdit (which supports
OpenType ligatures), and fi and other ligatures were inserted correctly.
So I would guess that the font is OK.

The font's version is 1.010.

And finally: "design_size" vs. "designsize" ...