[Dev-luatex] beta 0.20.0 released

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Dec 11 10:31:09 CET 2007

Jonathan Sauer wrote:
> Hello,

>>> What do you mean by the latter?
>> if a tex engine can be properly isolated one can think of
>> starting a new instance
>
> I'm still confused. Right now, I can run luatex several times in
> different consoles, typesetting different documents. It also should
> be possible to use os.execute to run luatex out of luatex, since
> the operating system gives each instance its own memory etc.

sure, but then passing info between the instances is somewhat cumbersome
; this is what mplib is about ... passing info between tex and mp

> Well, fontforge's documentation mostly deals with the font designer
> itself. I found a little bit about the data structures, but that only
> dealt with the internal data structures, not how a font is "exported".

welcome to open type ... not much info about it anyway ... also, you're
pretty dependent on what font designers put in there (completeness)

>> of just looking into the lua table ...
>
> That amounts to reverse-engineering. The tables can be mis-interpreted.

well, to some extend it is reverse engeneering ... but as said,
eventually we will come up with some documentation (we've quite some
fonts on my machine, but we're still running into new things)

>> there are many variations in fonts and features; type 1, open type,
>> what-comes-next ...  such standards (sic) have their own documentation
>
> Of course. But this documentation does not tell me how LuaTeX
> maps the font's data structures to Lua tables.

once that format is frozen (may change again in upcoming luatex's) we
will explain that in more detail

>>> Who can only write code if they have the documentation.
>> indeed, but look at good old tex ... eventually macro
>> packages evolved that go way behind plain tex; also, i could
>> write thousands of pages about how *i* do thinsg but that may
>> not be the way you want to do it (and i'm pretty sure that
>> the context mkiv color model is different from what e.g. latex does).
>
> Sure. But it would still be useful to have this information just
> to see how others (you, in that case) solved a given problem. That
> way, the wheel does not need to be reinvented all the time.

indeed, but i expect the wheel to be reinvented ... it's how the tex
community works -)

sometime next year i hope to have the font related lua code in such a
state (cleaned up) that i can describe it