[Dev-luatex] repository changes

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Jul 10 22:11:46 CEST 2007

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> I should warn you that I am moving all files about in the
> repository to get a more flexible tree, in preparation for
> a beta release tomorrow. Your next checkout likely be huge.

I see you have created a trunk (which is good) and a tools directory
(which is outside of the standard trunk/branches/tags triade and for
that reason not managed well by all Subversion clients).  The tools
directory contains a script for creating snapshots.  It does that by
snapshotting a work copy of the trunk after cleaning out some backup
files and stuff.

Basically, that's a bad idea.  The "normal" process for creating a
snapshot is to use svn status to make sure everything worthwhile is
checked into the trunk, then use
svn copy https://whatever/luatex/{trunk,tags/snapshot-`date +%Y%m%d`}
to create a tag _in_ the repository.  Then check out the _tag_ and
package it while it is fresh, possibly running autogen.sh or something
similar before packaging it in order to pregenerate some stuff that
might need utilities not available to the end user, or to generate
README and INSTALL files or similar (from other files) when the user
can expect their presence in a tarball.

That way, the snapshot is guaranteed to have a well-defined
reproducible state corresponding to the tag.  The alternatives are
more likely to cause goofs and trouble in my opinion.

Anyway, the routine for packaging a snapshot is best kept together
with the branch/tag/whatever: in that way, a checkout of a tag
contains everything for making a snapshot tarball with the same
procedure with which it had been created in the first place.

Anyway, that's what struck me when seeing the current layout.  And I
have released and prereleased software (and discussed and created the
infrastructure for snapshotting together with other developers) in
some projects.

All the best,