[Dev-luatex] Snapshot 20070619

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Jun 19 15:01:40 CEST 2007

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:

> After almost two months it was definately time for a new snapshot.
>
> News compared to the 20070426 version:

[...]

Are there any estimates regarding the relative performance?

> * A new set of registers is added, called \attribute. These are
>    values that will be automatically attached to nodes created in
>    their scope. More information in the manual.

Presumably useful for things like colors.

> * Direct read/write access to TeX's box registers is addded to
>    the lua 'tex' table.

Quite desirable.

> * TeX's main memory now grows dynamically, and the (de)allocation
>    routines have been rewritten completely.

Sounds like something long overdue.  I could imagine that this could
be an area relevant for profiling, though.

> * The 'kpse' table is extended with extra interface functions, to
>    allow texlua to be used as a scripting engine.

Having an efficient, crossplatform available scripting engine capable
of doing all the kpathsea gimickry without external executables is
certainly very appealing and would help to shrink the Unix/whatever
gap.  It will remain to be seen how "dialog" and its ilk are best
replaced in texconfig and similar scripts communicating with the user.

Thanks (now I just need to get my working copy updated without that
No route to host: Can't connect to host 'scm.foundry.supelec.fr': No route to host
message),

David

--
David Kastrup