[Dev-luatex] Snapshot 20070619

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Jun 19 15:53:13 CEST 2007

David Kastrup wrote:

> Are there any estimates regarding the relative performance?

when no callbacks are used there is no big differece; when callbacks are
used to process nodes, luatex is slower than pdftex but that is to be
expected; on production runs doing node manipulations at several levele
you can expect luatex to be a about twice a slow as pdftex, but that's
the price we pay for progress

anyhow, we did quite some tests and performance is quite good given what
we're dealing with; one may win back tim e by replacing time consuming
macros

>> * A new set of registers is added, called \attribute. These are
>>    values that will be automatically attached to nodes created in
>>    their scope. More information in the manual.
>
> Presumably useful for things like colors.

indeed

>> * TeX's main memory now grows dynamically, and the (de)allocation
>>    routines have been rewritten completely.

 > Sounds like something long overdue.  I could imagine that this could
 > be an area relevant for profiling, though.

performance seems ok; there are some optimizations possible but those
are on the agenda for next year when some other bits and pieces have
been cleaned up

in general, you can expect luatex to have a larger memory footprint than
pdftex (esp when open type fonts are used and etc); a 100 mb mem
footprint is no exception for more advanced docs