[Dev-luatex] Snapshot 20070619

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Jun 19 17:50:50 CEST 2007

David Kastrup wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:
>
>> After almost two months it was definately time for a new snapshot.
>>
>> News compared to the 20070426 version:
>
> [...]
>
> Are there any estimates regarding the relative performance?

20070619 is definately faster than 20070426. In fact, it is generally
faster than Aleph at Aleph things (because I fixed the memory leak
that made both progressively slower). It is a some 20-30% percent
slower than pdftex at doing pdftex things, but that has been true
from the start and AFAICS, it is caused more by the extra work done
by the Omega code than by anything else.

>> * TeX's main memory now grows dynamically, and the (de)allocation
>>    routines have been rewritten completely.
>
> Sounds like something long overdue.  I could imagine that this could
> be an area relevant for profiling, though.

I doubt you can gain much. One of the reasons why this snapshot took
such a long time to come about, was exactly because of extensive
profiling and refactoring. Once LuaTeX is 'up to steam' (after one or
two text pages), memory (de)allocation is basically controlled by a
dozen dedicated avail lists.

> Thanks (now I just need to get my working copy updated without that
> No route to host: Can't connect to host 'scm.foundry.supelec.fr': No route to host
> message),

"No route to host"  sounds like a local network error on your side.
It resolves nicely over here, and the IP address is 193.48.224.170

Good luck,