[Dev-luatex] Snapshot 20070322

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Mar 22 10:25:08 CET 2007

Hi all,

Over the past week, I have been far too busy with the ConTeXt
conference (this weekend) to get much work done, but there is
a snapshot release available nevertheless.

What's new:

* I have changed the token_filter callback quite rigorously,
   mostly because of speed issues. The raw speed of trivial
   lua token handling is now only about 20 times slower than
   the native handling. Not bad at all, considering it has to move
   between interpreted and compiled code for each and every
   token. If you do not run the token filter inside \output,
   the effective run speed difference should not be much more
   than a factor 1.5.

   Two big differences: you have to call token.get_next()
   yourself, and the token table is now a three-item array
   instead of a five-key hash. The minimal example changes to

   \directlua0{
     callback.register('token_filter', function ()
       return token.get_next()
       end)
   }

   more details are in the manual.

* I've fixed a few bugs in the handling of Opentype TTF, and added
   a new key in the font definition table:

      f.encodingbytes = (1|2)

   The default is 2 for opentype and truetype format, 1 otherwise.
   Later on, it will become possible to have a type1 font in 2-byte
   (CID) encoding or a truetype font in traditional encoding (1-byte),
   but I have not covered all cases yet.

Next up: Idris found a big problem with inline RL-LR switching in
PDF mode that I have to fix, TrueType-based (OpenType) subsetting,
and node creation callbacks.

Happy TeXing,

Taco

-----

Downloading and installation details:

If you go to

         https://foundry.supelec.fr/frs/?group_id=10

you will see that there are three new released files:

* luatex-snapshot-200703022.tar.bz2
         This is the source tree.

* luatex-snapshot-20070322-win32.zip
         A cross-compiled (mingw) windows binary. This is a web2c
         based binary, so it needs a texmf.cnf file (It will NOT
         work if you have only miktex installed).

* luatex-snapshot-20070322-linux-i386.tar.bz2
         An intel 32 linux binary (very new gcc/libc)