[Dev-luatex] Utf-8 too dominant?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Mar 27 13:06:49 CEST 2007

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> So the kind of utf-8 support (OTP or something) used for Omega needs
>> to be somewhat optional.
>
> No, the error is simply a bug. All I/O characters that are visible to
> the bare engine is, and will be, utf-8 encoded.

What is "the bare engine"?  From the TeX side, one sees Unicode
characters.

> If you want to do bare bytes, you have to preprocess them in lua.

How do you interpret input bytes that don't form valid utf-8
sequences?  As long as they are preserved in some recognizable manner,
it should be possible to do this sort of reverse conversion to the
original bytes, but it certainly does not sound like it would make for
attractive speed.

--
David Kastrup