[Dev-luatex] Utf-8 too dominant?

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Mar 27 13:21:04 CEST 2007

David Kastrup wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:
>
>> David Kastrup wrote:
>>> So the kind of utf-8 support (OTP or something) used for Omega needs
>>> to be somewhat optional.
>> No, the error is simply a bug. All I/O characters that are visible to
>> the bare engine is, and will be, utf-8 encoded.
>
> What is "the bare engine"?  From the TeX side, one sees Unicode
> characters.

The bare engine is the compiled executable code. Filtering and
reencoding can be done using lua scripts, and those are interpreted
(i.e. runtime). This is discussed in the reference manual, so if
you have not looked at that yet, please do so before replying to
this message.

If you believe it is possible to support arbitrary 8-bit encodings
while supporting utf-8 properly at the same time feel free to donate
the pascal web/C code to do so. I am not willing to spend time on
that myself, considering we have a scripting language builtin that
is ideally suited to take care of this problem.

Supporting utf-8 properly means: no need to have active \catcode-s
for >128, but allow utf-8 sequences to be treated as a single
character everywhere (for example in messaging, to be used inside
\csnames, and as argument to \catcode c.s.), and also remove the
need for port-dependant things like tcx files and -8bit.