[Dev-luatex] bug with \ifcsname, ttf font spacing problems, and catcode initialisation for utf8 beyond ascii

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Sep 14 00:07:25 CEST 2007

Olivier Binda wrote:
> Hello...
>
> I have been testing luatex some more and I have made the following
> discoveries :
>
> A) The \ifcsname macro doesn't behave as it should when you use non

Will get to this in the morning.

> B) non-ascii utf8 char don't seem to have their catcodes initialized to
> "letter" (catcode 11).
> Is this normal ? Is it a bug ? a feature ?

This is normal.

I am not convinced XeTeX is right, as some of those 'letters' are
not even defined in Unicode, and some others are quite definately
intended to be 'other', 'space' or even 'invalid'. So it seemed
wiser to let the macro packages sort out what is needed.

> C) I have tried using a ttf font in luatex but It was only half a success :
>
> I read the luatex manual but was really at a loss to guess how to code a
> function in lua to load the .ttf font,
> so I did a lot of googling and I finally found this luatex-wiki (started
> by Yannis Haralambous) :
> http://luatex.bluwiki.com/
>
> I tried Yannis Haralambous's code sample to load a ttf font :

IIRC, Yannis and I corresponded about an updated version a few weeks
later, and I guess that never made it to the wiki.

> Luatex managed to load the ttf font (it stopped whining about not
> finding metrics) yet, when I write something with this font,
> the spacing is all wrong (all the letter stack in one place). So I guess
> the metrics that luatex managed to produce is wrong (the char seem to
> have near 0 width).
>
> What could be wrong ?

Probably the "mag" multiplier. It should be around 50.000, I guess.
I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

> D) Please, could you put more code snipets in the luatex manual (this
> piece of code from yannis would be a good candidate) ?

The reference manual will have only absolutely required examples, it
is too long as it is already, and there are many more pages to come.

A "normal" luatex book will be written alongside it.