[Dev-luatex] \pardir and \textdir etc

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Wed Sep 19 00:02:29 CEST 2007

Eythan Weg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Running this file under luatex 11.2 on amd64
> fails, with "segmentation fault, probably due to
> infinite macro recursion".
>
> ----------------------
> \pardir TLT
> \textdir TLT
> This is some text
> \textdir TRT
> and this is too.
>
> \halign{%
> \textdir  TLT #&\textdir TRT#\cr
> This and&that\cr}

Unfortunately this runs just fine on i386, so it will have to
wait a while, until I have access to an amd64 installation again.

> Also, it seems to me that eTeX treats alignment
> with directional instructions more sensibly:
>
> ---------------------
> \TeXXeTstate=1
> \halign{%
> \beginL#\endL&\beginR#\endR\cr
> This and&that\cr
> }

If you mean the syntax difference, that can be easily faked in
luatex if you so desire, but I fail to see how that is more
sensible:

   \protected\def\beginL{\bgroup\textdir TLT}
   \protected\def\endL{\egroup} % or \textdir TRT
   \protected\def\beginR{\bgroup\textdir TRT}
   \protected\def\endR{\egroup}% or \textdir TLT
   \newcount\TeXXeTstate % for completeness' sake