[Dev-luatex] \pardir and \textdir etc

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Wed Sep 19 08:53:19 CEST 2007

Eythan Weg wrote:

> Oh, I am sorry; I was not explicit: in the example
> I gave, LuaTeX typesets the word "that" right to
> left starting on the letter "d" of the word "and".
> Thus the letters "taht" overlaps the word "and".
> eTeX, on the other hand, typesets it like: "This
> andtaht".  This latter behavior seems to me
> correct.

Ah, now I see. Sorry, I dismissed your remark too soon
yesterday. I should have tried and looked a bit better.

In the process of looking into it now, I did find some
unreliability in te i386 executable, which possibly stems
from the same bug as your crash.

You are right, this behaviour is unexpected. I am not
sure if it can be fixed in a meaningful manner, I will
look into that (Whatever else happens, I cannot go back to
the eTeX bidi subsystem, because it simply is not powerful
enough).

Meanwhile, this works as expected:

   \halign{%
   \hbox dir TLT{#}&\hbox dir TRT{#}\cr