[Dev-luatex] Lua states and \dump

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Sep 21 09:51:49 CEST 2007

Jonathan Sauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> (yes, it's me again ;-)
>
> Yesterday I noticed that when \dump-ing a format file, the Lua
> states are not dumped as well, discarding all initializations
> made while creating the format.

this is the reason for the bytecode registers; these are saved; you can
store luacode in there and initialize that at runtime (when the format
is loaded); there is no pre-cooked behaviour, it's under your control;
depending on the amount of code to be loaded, it makes sense to use this
mechanism or not (loading lua code is rather fast)