[Dev-luatex] Collected notes

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Sep 25 23:15:04 CEST 2007

Jonathan Sauer wrote:

> I'm wondering how this would affect performance. How costly is the
> conversion from a string to a table?

pretty bad. But would you normally assign lots of stuff to a toks
register after building it up by hand? I imagined that would more
likely be something previously returned from a different token
register, or the replacement of a macro or something.

In lua it is actually possible to do both types at the same time,
so there is no need to decide either way, but token list tables do
fit the internal structure better.

> And what about tex.print? Since it creates/writes tokens as well, will
> it be changed to accept token list tables, too? (at any rate, I think
> both should accept the same parameter type)

tex.print writes input strings (one-line files, if you will). The
concept and effect is somewhat different from a token list. The
differences are subtle, but important. A special function like
tex.tprint is not a bad idea, but we have not really needed it yet.

Cheers, Taco