[Dev-luatex] Problems with texmf.cnf settings

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Sep 30 23:11:01 CEST 2007

Hi Arthur, hi Hans, hi all!

On Sa, 29 Sep 2007, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>   You might have to add a second directory (see
> http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2007/026272.html), but there is
> a much simpler way, see below:

Thanks, that was a good hint. So the problem is that the current setting
in our texmf.cnf for LUAINPUTS is not enough. We have currently:
	LUAINPUTS    = .;$TEXMF/scripts/{$progname,$engine,}/lua//
but as far as I can see we need at least also:
		scripts/context/lua//
		tex/context/base//
for luatools/mtxrun to work. It seems that mtxrun is not setting the
$engine nor $progname settings, and the tex/context/base/ cannot be
found anyway.

Well to sum it up (what I need on Debian):
1) export TEXMFCNF=/usr/share/texmf/web2c
2) adjust LUAINPUTS to add the above two settings
3) call luatools --verbose --generate
after this
	mtxrun --script fonts --list lmroman10
gives me:
report >> fontnames: identifying tree font files with suffix otf
report >> fontnames: 137 tree files identified, 421 hash entries added, runtime 1.65 seconds
lmroman10-bold            LMRoman10-Bold            lmroman10-bold.otf
lmroman10-unslanted       LMRoman10-Unslanted       lmroman10-unslanted.otf

Now I will try to set things up so that normal Debian users get a
working MkIV with luatex/context without *too* much manual interference.

What still puzzles me, or better makes me a bit sceptic, is this luatex
cache thingy, which needs updating at any time. I guess I have to add
some magic to the "mktexlsr" script that in case that luatex is
installed it also calls luatools --generate ..., but I am not sure
whether this is a good idea, needs definitely some testing.

>   Download http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/install/linuxtex.zip (or
> whatever is appropriate for your system) and source setuptex.  That's

This is not a solution, I am a system integrator, I want to get this
working for Debian, so I cannot rely on stuff to be downloaded etc. I
need to know *exactely* what is necessary, and have to develop a method
to make this working on all the Debian machines out there. Yup. But
thanks for the hint.

Best wishes

Norbert