[Dev-luatex] Problem using umlaut in hyphenation

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Apr 1 12:39:45 CEST 2008

Hi,

Jonathan Sauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
>>> Am I doing something wrong?
>> You are missing two things:
>>
>> * the \lccode of ü has to be nonzero for it to be a valid
>>    word constituent
>
> Oh. I thought since hyphenation has been completely been revamped,
> the requirement of a non-zero \lccode has been removed. Especially

It actually was gone for a while (\lccodes were not in the new
hyphenation codebase in the initial rewrite), but then I realised that
that gives big problems with words followed by punctuation. So I had
to reinsert the  code in the hyphenation algorithm.

> since I did not get an error message (IIRC, the original TeX
> complained about this, at least in \pattern).

I never bothered to restore the error (or at least not for
\hyphenation), because it was not all that useful an error to
begin with: it is only a potential error at this point,
a following bit of code can still change the \lccodes if
it wants to (even revert to zero).

A better solution for this 'what is a word' problem would be nice.
Perhaps one will be offered by the Google Summer of Code; one of
the proposed projects is "Better unicode support".

>> * The font cmr10 doesn't have an ü glyph
>
> Of course. But this should not affect the possible hyphenation
> points, or should it?

No, it shouldn't.