[Dev-luatex] Unicode in \pdfinfo

Jonathan Sauer Jonathan.Sauer at silverstroke.com
Tue Jul 1 10:00:17 CEST 2008

Hello,

> \pdfinfo doesn't seem to support Unicode, when I compile the
> attached example with luatex I get symbols like هصة
> instead of the proper (Arabic) Unicode strings.
> Shouldn't luatex default to Unicode here too?

The following function takes a LuaTeX (UTF-8) string and converts it
to UTF-16 with BOM and writes it to TeX (note that it requires
a recent beta of LuaTeX, cf. my mail to this list on 8th April 2008):

function convertPDFstring(s)
	-- UTF-16 BOM
	sprint(char(0x110000 + 254))
	sprint(char(0x110000 + 255))

	-- The string
	for c in string.utfvalues(s) do
		if c < 0x10000 then
			sprint(char(0x110000 + c / 256))
			sprint(char(0x110000 + c % 256))
		else
			c = c - 0x10000
			local c1 = c / 1024 + 0xD800
			local c2 = c % 1024 + 0xDC00
			sprint(char(0x110000 + c1 / 256))
			sprint(char(0x110000 + c1 % 256))
			sprint(char(0x110000 + c2 / 256))
			sprint(char(0x110000 + c2 % 256))
		end
	end
end

Usage (to set the title of the document):

\pdfinfo{/Title(\directlua0{convertPDFstring('my title')})}

Jonathan