[Dev-luatex] Q: Why does LuaTeX embed rather than extend?

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Jul 3 23:34:09 CEST 2008

Hi Jonathan?

Jonathan Fine wrote:
> I've got a question about a LuaTeX design decision.

I trust you have read the reference manual and our articles, so think
for a bit and then try to answer a very simple rhetorical question:
where o where will we find a tex-like reentrant engine to be used as
an extension component? You will soon realise that the answer will be:
looks like we will have to build one.

Which happens to be exactly what we are doing here, slowly. So, you'll
just have to be patient for a few years, like everybody else.