[Dev-luatex] ecrm1000

Javier Bezos listas at tex-tipografia.com
Thu Jul 24 14:50:14 CEST 2008

Thank you, Jonathan:

> I would think you would have to create a "define_font"-callback
> to do the following:
>
> 1. Read the TFM file manually into a Lua table.
> 2. Re-map the glyphs according to the font's encoding (T1 ...)
>    to Unicode.
> 3. Return the new table.

Actually, point 1 should read "TFM fileS", because in LaTeX a font
is in fact two tfm's. For example, a text in Latin script uses
T1 (letters) and TS1 (symbols).

This is the way to go, it seems. But just for not reinventing the
wheel, has someone worked on that?

>> I'm reading the lua files from ConTeXt, so I presume I'll
>> have more questions soon. Any further pointers? I'm
>> interested mainly in LaTeX (LuaLaTeX?).
>
> I found this document quite interesting (not LaTeX, though):
> http://pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mk.pdf

This document is very useful, indeed. I'm reading font-def.lua
too.

Very likely many techniques are format independent. In fact, this
is one of the aims stated in luatools.lua:

-- Although this script is part of the ConTeXt distribution it is
-- relatively indepent of ConTeXt.  The same is true for some of
-- the luat files. We may may make them even less dependent in
-- the future.

(Thank you for this, Hans.)

Javier