[Dev-luatex] Level 1 OFM Support

Jin-Hwan Cho chofchof at ktug.or.kr
Fri May 23 14:34:05 CEST 2008

Dear Taco Hoekwater,

In these days, I am trying to find a good way to use CJK characters
with LuaTeX.

At first, it looks somewhat trivial, but this topic is not trivial
because of different
typographical features of CJK countries.

My first goal is to repeat the same thing what I had done with Omega.
While I'm
testing, I found that LuaTeX does not support the level 1 OFMs.
Actually it is not
hard to support the format in the point of DVI drivers' view. But it
might not in the
point of TeX's view.

Anyway, I made a patch to support this format except for char_param
(see \S95
entry of the ofm2opl manual, p.235) because I did not know how these
parameters
were used in LuaTeX.

I tested a few sample OFM files of level 1. Especially I have
cyberb.ofm (level 1)
generated by ttf2tfm from Bitstream cyberbit.ttf. And, it was
successful to get
CJK characters in the DVI mode. It looks that LuaTeX does not support
yet 16-bit
characters in PDF mode.

For CJK people, the first thing what we want is to support CJK
characters in PDF
mode without using subfont scheme (as CJK-LaTeX and Korean ko.TeX).

The next thing is to support CJK typography. It may take quite long
time to do it.

I am preparing a topic for the first thing and I'd like to give a talk
at this TUG
conference for this topic. Because I am novice in LuaTeX, I hope the
developers
(I already met Hans and Hartmut) give me some helpful comment.

Best regards, ChoF.