[Dev-luatex] Level 1 OFM Support

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri May 23 14:58:55 CEST 2008

Hello ChoF,

Jin-Hwan Cho wrote:
> Dear Taco Hoekwater,
>
> In these days, I am trying to find a good way to use CJK characters with
> LuaTeX.
>
> At first, it looks somewhat trivial, but this topic is not trivial
> because of different typographical features of CJK countries.
>
> My first goal is to repeat the same thing what I had done with Omega.
> While I'm testing, I found that LuaTeX does not support the level 1
> OFMs. Actually it is not hard to support the format in the point of
> DVI drivers' view. But it might not in the point of TeX's view.

In truth I was not supporting OFM level 1 because the tools to create
them are broken (at least all the ones I could find) and the technology
is a dead end, it is much nicer to use TTF/OTF directly.

> Anyway, I made a patch to support this format except for char_param (see
> \S95 entry of the ofm2opl manual, p.235) because I did not know how these
> parameters were used in LuaTeX.

I can apply your patch in any case.

> I tested a few sample OFM files of level 1. Especially I have cyberb.ofm
> (level 1) generated by ttf2tfm from Bitstream cyberbit.ttf. And, it was
> successful to get CJK characters in the DVI mode. It looks that LuaTeX
> does not support yet 16-bit characters in PDF mode.

Not ones loaded from OFM files, no. I didn't know how to do it,
and because of the 'dead technology' did not want to invest too
much time in learning, either.  I assume there is some mapping
of tfmindex-to-ttfindex involved?

But:

> For CJK people, the first thing what we want is to support CJK characters
> in PDF mode without using subfont scheme (as CJK-LaTeX and Korean ko.TeX).

it works if you load the TTF/OTF font directly using lua. Hans does
that in context mkiv. See this file

   http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mk.pdf

for an example of the output. That is straight from luatex, no
dvipdfmx inbetween.