[Dev-luatex] problem with os.spawn+os.execute on win32

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Tue Sep 2 11:16:37 CEST 2008

Hans Hagen scripsit (02.09.2008 10:09)
> can you try the table call, like in
> os.exec({"c:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Reader
> 9.0\\Reader\\acrord32.exe","e:/tmp/oeps.pdf"})
I did try the table call (that's actually the form used in the original script
where the problem first appeared).

> here both spawn and exec seem to work ok
Do you mean you tried the above example with Adobe Reader 9 on windows and AR
did not crash? Here (win XP SP2, AR9, LuaTeX 0.25.4 from TL'08) it crashes,
and the original scripts from which I extracted the minimal demo above have
been reported to crash on:
- Vista + Adobe Acrobat pro 9 (TL'08)
- Unkown windows (I can ask) + Adobe Reader 8.1 (TL'08) (dump available)

Up to now the problem looks rather reproducible. I would be rather surprised
that you can't reproduce it.

> btw, there is 'pdfopen' for opening pdf files; if the operating system
> supports suffix associations os.execute("e:/tmp/oeps.pdf") works too
On windows I was originally using 'start' to open any file using suffix
associations. I changed it to acrord32 just for this example to make it clear
the problem was with AR9 and not with the association mechanism or whatever.