[Dev-luatex] luatex manpage [was: mpost.1 man page (and luatex.1 man page)]

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Apr 23 09:18:29 CEST 2009

Khaled Hosny wrote:

>>   The option list is a bit outdated in any case, I will try to
>>   document the actual, complete option list tomorrow.
>
> That would be very helpful, since I'd to guess most of the time.

First, there are two switches that alter the executable behaviour:

   --luaonly
   --luaconly

Then, there are ignored:

   --8bit
   --etex
   --[no-]parse-first-line
       these are always on

   --default-translate-file=TCXNAME
   --translate-file=TCXNAME
       these are always off

Actually interpreted switches and arguments:

   --credits
       prints credits

   --debug-format
       (normally undocumented) to debug format loading

   --draftmode
       switch on draft mode (generates no output PDF)

   --disable-write18
   --enable-write18
   --[no-]shell-escape
   --shell-restricted
       enable/disable/restrict \write18, os.execute(),
       os.exec(), os.spawn(), and io.popen().

   --[no-]file-line-error[-style]
       disable/enable file:line:error style messages

   --fmt=FMTNAME
       use FMTNAME instead of program name or a %& line

   --halt-on-error
       stop processing at the first error

   --help
       show help

   --ini
       be iniluatex, for dumping formats

   --interaction=STRING
       set interaction mode (STRING=batchmode/nonstopmode/
       scrollmode/errorstopmode)

   --jobname=STRING
       set the job name to STRING

   --kpathsea-debug=NUMBER
       set path searching debugging flags according to
       the bits of NUMBER

   --lua=FILE
       the lua initialization file

   --[no-]mktex=FMT
       disable/enable mktexFMT generation (FMT=tex/tfm)

   --nosocket
       disable the luasocket (network) library

   --output-comment=STRING
       use STRING for DVI file comment instead of date

   --output-directory=DIR
       use DIR as the directory to write files to

   --output-format=FORMAT
       use FORMAT for job output; FORMAT is `dvi' or `pdf

   --progname=STRING
       set program (and fmt) name to STRING

   --recorder
       enable filename recorder

   --safer
       disable easily exploitable lua commands

   --synctex=NUMBER
       enable/disable synctex

   --version
       show version and exit

The presence of --lua makes most of these switches unreliable,
because the lua initialization file can disable kpathsea and/or
hook functions into various callbacks. Here is the list of
possibly affected switches/functionality, and why:

   --[no-]file-line-error[-style]
   --halt-on-error
   --disable-write18
   --enable-write18
   --[no-]shell-escape
   --shell-restricted
   --fmt
   --jobname
       controllable via the texconfig table

   --kpathsea-debug
   --[no-]mktex
   --output-directory
   --progname=S
   --jobname=S
   --recorder
       kpathsea can be switched off via the texconfig table

   --interaction
   --output-format
   --synctex
   --draftmode
       can be reset via texconf.init function

   --<unrecognized options>
       the lua initialization script can access the commandline, so it
       can interpret extra options if it so desires.