[Dev-luatex] XML abilities in LuaTeX

TeXWorld texworld at laposte.net
Wed Feb 25 00:38:49 CET 2009

Hans Hagen a écrit :

> TeXWorld wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm new to LuaTeX and Lua in general and I try to find tools to
>> process datas stored in XML files.
>> I want to do this with LaTeX (pdfLuaLaTeX in TeXLive 2008) but
>> there's no tool. Contrary to LaTeX, ConTeXt does have abilities to
>> work with XML files.
>> Do you think it could be possible to have LuaTeX equipped with such
>> abilities one day ? I read in the LuaTeX reference that LuaTeX comes
>> with modules such as LuaZIP that is really a good thing. Do you think
>> it would be possible to have something like the LuaXML module added
>> to luatex too ?
>
> this is not so much related to luatex (typesetting engine) but more to
> the input which can be anything (tex, database, xml, whatever);
> context does not use libraries but does xml in pure lua

Hello Hans, hello everybody

I did not answer since Taco gave me a solution...

> adding all kind of 'modules' to lua will make it way too big and
> unmaintainable (apart from philosophical debates about which of the
> many variants to choose)

Yes of course

> in the future there will be an option to load libraries (once we've
> sorted out the best way to deal with it in a secure way in the tex
> tree etc)
I was recently thinking about that and that's really good news. I have
several questions :

-when do you think this option could be available il LuaTeX ? This year ?
-who will decide which lua modules will be available for/used with
LuaTeX ? Users ?
-could it be possible to install and remove any of them ? Is it the kind
of thing that could be done with the TeX distribution (I'm thinking of
tlmgr in TeXLive for example)