[Dev-luatex] encoding code issue

Yue Wang yuleopen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 16:09:05 CEST 2009


After copy the stripped down luatex binary into context tree and test
a few documents,
I am quite happy with my change.

btw, taco, some text blocks are placed in the wrong places in the pdf
using the unchanged version. known issue?


On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Yue Wang<yuleopen at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi Taco:
>
>
> - when I change something in fontforge/Unicode/*, and run build.sh
> --make, it will recompile many luatex stuffs. That is not necessary.
> please fix that if you can.
>
> - cjk.c can be removed completely. Chinese TTF/OTF Fonts are arranged
> in unicode order (maybe with other encoding charmap provided). So no
> need to do font re-encoding.  (I think Japanese fonts and Korean fonts
> do too)
>
> - source/texk/web2c/luatexdir/luafontloader/fontforge/Unicode/backtrns.c
> is not needed, please remove that.
>
> - maybe it is not necessary to extend ctype to utype: in ConTeXt we
> have char-def.lua which gives very detailed information. After
> browsing the source code I think there is almost no dependency on
> unicode range for isxxxx and tolower/toupper.  Most are for conversion
> of file names on local filesystem and so on. after removing
> utype.[ch], only two APIs ishexdigit and iscombinedchar are missing.
> but this two is very easy to implement. e.g. hexdigit = 0-9, a-f.
>
> - unialt.c is only needed for autohint.c. since hinting have nothing
> to do with typesetting, perhaps these two files can be gone too...
>
> After removing these files I ended up building a 3.9M luatex  on Mac OS X.
> Maybe Linux binary can be even smaller.
>
> of course, the above thoughts have not been throughly tested.
>
>
> Yue Wang
>


More information about the dev-luatex mailing list