[Dev-luatex] REQ: Please tell comp.text.tex why LuaTeX chose embed rather than extend.

Jonathan Fine jfine at pytex.org
Sun May 24 13:27:39 CEST 2009

Hi

This week there's been a nice discussion on comp.text.tex that started
in the context of LuaTeX.

It was on the difference between embedding a scripting language in an
application and extending a scripting language with a module written in
a compiled language.

One of the best parts, in my view, was Zeljko Vrba pointing out, in
effect, that Postgres both embedded scripting languages and provided an
interface that allowed it to be used as an extension to a scripting
language.  This provides a wonderful dual example.

One of the participants asked: "What was the rationale behind choosing
the embed route by the LuaTeX team?"

We'd be delighted if posted an answer to this question to comp.text.tex.

To help you find the c.t.t discussion, here's a URL:
<http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.text.tex/tree/browse_frm/thread/d352212826544c1d/fdf9f61e693cac27?rnum=111&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fcomp.text.tex%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2Fd352212826544c1d%2F9900cd1dca621b18%3F#doc_2f7883ecc8e560fb>

And here's a shorter one:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.text.tex/search?hl=en&group=comp.text.tex&q=embed+or+extend&qt_g=Search+this+group

with best regards

Jonathan