[Dev-luatex] REQ: Please tell comp.text.tex why LuaTeX chose embed rather than extend.

Jonathan Fine jfine at pytex.org
Sun May 24 16:03:01 CEST 2009

Hello Hans

Thank you for your prompt reply.

>> One of the participants asked: "What was the rationale behind choosing
>> the embed route by the LuaTeX team?"
>
> the motives for doing ot the way we do has been discussed in articles
> and presentations several times the last couple of years so it makes no
> sense to repeat that again

I'm sorry, Hans, but I've not been able to find the resources you refer
to.  I've done an internet search
     http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=embed+extend+luatex
and I've not found anything yet.

Please would you supply URLs explain why the LuaTeX team chose to embed
rather than extend.

> the reasons for choosing lua are (1) we like it, (2) it's small and
> stable, (3) it does not add updating, huge libraries and depencies mess
> to tex distributions, (4) it's fast, (5) it's made for this purpose

Ah, you may have misunderstood me.  Perhaps I was not clear enough.  My
question is not why did you choose Lua, but why did you choose to embed
rather than to extend.

[snip]

--
Jonathan