[Dev-luatex] REQ: Please tell comp.text.tex why LuaTeX chose embed rather than extend.

Jonathan Fine jfine at pytex.org
Sun May 24 16:03:01 CEST 2009

Hello Hans

Thank you for your prompt reply.

>> One of the participants asked: "What was the rationale behind choosing
>> the embed route by the LuaTeX team?"
> the motives for doing ot the way we do has been discussed in articles
> and presentations several times the last couple of years so it makes no
> sense to repeat that again

I'm sorry, Hans, but I've not been able to find the resources you refer
to.  I've done an internet search
and I've not found anything yet.

Please would you supply URLs explain why the LuaTeX team chose to embed
rather than extend.

> the reasons for choosing lua are (1) we like it, (2) it's small and
> stable, (3) it does not add updating, huge libraries and depencies mess
> to tex distributions, (4) it's fast, (5) it's made for this purpose

Ah, you may have misunderstood me.  Perhaps I was not clear enough.  My
question is not why did you choose Lua, but why did you choose to embed
rather than to extend.