[Dev-luatex] REQ: Please tell comp.text.tex why LuaTeX chose embed rather than extend.

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Sun May 24 23:11:59 CEST 2009

> One of the best parts, in my view, was Zeljko Vrba pointing out, in effect,
> that Postgres both embedded scripting languages and provided an interface
> that allowed it to be used as an extension to a scripting language.  This
> provides a wonderful dual example.

  Taco and Hans already stated their opinions, and I won't speak on
their behalf, but I read the entire thread on c.t.t. and would like to
point out that in the discussion, Željko seems to say the exact contrary
to what you report here: Postgres embeds Python as a scripting language
-- just like LuaTeX embeds Lua -- and does not offer the database engine
as an extension: it only gives access to it through an API, and does not
extend Python with a database module.  I'm quite sure there would be
ways to do the same with LuaTeX (provided one knows what sort of result
one expects from it exactly), and David Kastrup even described possible
solutions, which Željko mentioned in his very same post.  You did not
care to comment about it.

	Arthur