[Dev-luatex] REQ: Please tell comp.text.tex why LuaTeX chose embed rather than extend.

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon May 25 09:20:54 CEST 2009

Jonathan Fine wrote:

> In Python I can write
>   import pyscopg
> and then I have a module that allows me to connect to a Postgres
> database, and add, change and delete records.  In other words I have
> imported into Python a database extension.

connect ... so the database itself runs indepently (and has a
comunication channel to a certain amount of clients)

> But all this is a little off the topic of embed and extend.  Postgres
> can embed Python, and one can extend Python using Postgres.  This is the
> dual example, and it helps show us what embed is good for, and what
> extend is good for.

so, in your example its not even embedded or extended that we're talking
of but connecting; well, it is no secret that luatex provides sockets so
you can start a luatex session, connect to it, send some text, and get
back whatever you want, in the sense that you can serialize for instance
a node list, (which in itself is not that useful as it lacks resources)

anyhow, this is exactly what arthur also mentioned so ...