[Dev-luatex] Wishing is free: fonts and glyph placement

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Oct 20 23:09:01 CEST 2009

listas at tex-tipografia.com wrote:
>> 2009/10/20 Javier Múgica <javier at digi21.eu>:
>>> While computing gliph spacing by analyzing the glyph's shapes may be
>>> too involved, a good, easier solution could be that, in addition to
>> It mustn't be. I think what you are looking for is optical kerning.
>
> I don't think so. I presume what he's proposing is something
> similar to what Microsoft is doing (or trying to do) in its
> new math font tables.

If something like that microsoft stuf was in the font, it would be quite
easy for luatex to make use of it. Interpreting the actual charstrings
would go too far, but applying some sort of blocky shape (especially if
it only has horizontal and vertical lines) would be quite easy. It
sounds like thus needs a lot of work on the font design side, though.