[Dev-luatex] unique node id?

Patrick Gundlach patrick at gundla.ch
Sun Aug 29 13:22:37 CEST 2010

Am 29.08.2010 um 13:15 schrieb Hans Hagen:

>>> I am currently using this number in the middle via tostring() and
>>> gsub(). But I'd still like to know if this can be used as an id.
>>
>> This number uniquely identifies a node for as long as it stays
>> allocated, yes. If it is freed, a new node may have the same
>> number.
>
> but for storing the node's id one can as well use the nodes user object itself as it's equally unique during the livespan of a node and one can compare pointers so the 'id' snippet in the string is not giving more uniqueness than the node user object itself

I need to generate some unique text for that node (I am creating a visual representation of a nodelist using graphviz), so I see two choices: a) get some id string or b) create a look table with the nodes as an index and some random string as the value for each node. But somehow b) didn't work. Is there a way to get the "value of a pointer" as a text string in Lua? Such as when you do tostring({}).

Patrick