[Dev-luatex] how to hook luatex last shipout

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Feb 4 19:32:16 CET 2010

On 4-2-2010 19:03, Paweł Jackowski wrote:
>  >>[...] Can one propose some way to hook "the last shipout/output is
>>> over" moment without macros such as \bye?
>>
>> luatex can never know when the last shipout occurs (the last call to
>> the output routine can result in multiple shipouts and macro packages
>> can call \shipout any time, so you need to register the last page
>> number and use that information; only the macro package knows when and
>> what
>>
>> you could abuse the stop_run callback for some purposes
>
> You're right, luatex cannot know which shipout is last. But finally it
> makes the decision "done, it's high time to die". I wondered if I can
> hook this moment, ie. to make the final update to pdf /Catalog or so. If
> not, will do with macros.

well, if you do it at the tex end, the 'next' shipout (i.e. the one
triggered by bye or end) is quite ok as it is unlikely that changes to
the catalog will happen afterwards (e.g. user will not change info
fields etc after their last bye)

even if you hook it into some finalizing lua code there are pitfalls

on the agenda, that is once the backend code is mostly redone) there
will be finalizer callbacks for the catalog, but we delayed that because
it will be part of more finalizer code (and temporary solutions can
change and in turn result in messy debugging of existing code because
timing is so important here)

(hm, i could make a nice technical talk about this for bachotek if there
is any interest at all in such issues -)