[Dev-luatex] svn revision ids

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Feb 21 17:27:49 CET 2010

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Martin Schröder wrote:
>> 2010/2/21 Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com>:
>>> The script is source/texk/web2c/luatexdir/getluatexsvnrevision.sh,
>>> and it is currently run from build.sh and from the tools/luatextag
>>> script. The latter is used to create the source tarballs.
>>
>> This uses svn info with an URL, which is SLOW. Wouldn't svnversion be
>> the better tool to use?
>
> But that commmand only works if there is a local repository.

But it may be the only option, sigh. As Mojca just pointed out:
svn info URL doesn't know whether the local revision even remotely
matches the URL's current revision.

To make matters worse, 'svnversion' has a bad habit of returning
something that is not a number at all, so it has to be parsed.

I remain convinced that this aspect of subversion is simply broken
by design.