[Dev-luatex] pdftexversion, OmegaVersion etc.

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Nov 30 09:52:12 CET 2010

On 11/30/2010 09:01 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

>> Do you propose to drop \Omegaversion because you changed the Omega
>> code and forgot to increase the version number? :)

The Omega code is not so much 'changed', but lots of bits of it have
been removed by now, and especially there are no translation process
any more. What is left is:

* the directions (\textdir, \bodydir ...)
* the 16-bit character extensions (\omathchar, \odelimiter, ...)
* local paragraph settings (\localleftbox ...)
* character ghosts (\leftghost, \rightghost)
* "Omega Font Metrics" support at level 0
* the page settings (\pageheight, \pagewidth, ...)
* character information access (\chardp, \charht, ..)
* version primitives (\Alephversion ...)

For each of these ...

* the handling directions may change incompatibly in the near future
  (depending on how the updated direction handling will work after all
   tracker items have been processed)
* the 16-bit math characters are ugly, and I would to deprecate them
* local paragraph settings are likely to change after some of the
   paragraph handling trackers have been processed.
* character ghosts are superceded by opentype fonts, so only
   make sense with TFM/OFM files
* OFMs hardly exist
* page settings are also provided via the pdftex primitives
* character info access is also provided via etex primitives, and
   via lua.

All in all, I don't think luatex 1.0 would still be compatible with
Omega/Aleph even if it still does some of the same things, so removing
the version primitives seems a reasonable thing to do.