[Dev-luatex] colors, colorstack

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 19 15:52:44 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 08:56:21PM +0200, Pawe?? Jackowski wrote:

> IMO pdfcolorstack is weak

AFAIK, it's the strongest and most powerful color support of all
TeX engines. Only node attributes with node list manipulation
at shipout time are able to beat it.

> and I think it makes sense to follow this
> way, at least not in luatex. In pdftex one can take an advantage of
> passing graphic state from page to page. But in luatex, when you're
> operating on lists already, it's not better then user whatsit, is
> it?

Package luacolor uses LuaTeX's attributes to implement color.
(However I don't know if it needs some updating to the current
development).

The attributes are set during node creation. If current
definitions and node creation are out of sync, then the
nodes out of sync might have the wrong color. Some time
ago meantioned that this might happen in math mode under
some conditions, but I haven't investigated further.
Does someone know more details, or even have an example at hand?

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek